Analysis of microfauna and microflora inhabiting soil, water, sediment and sludge is of particular interest in agricultural and environmental research. However, the challenge often lies in the ability to collect a sample for soil and water DNA or RNA extraction with a sufficient quality and quantity of these materials. Soil, for instance, contains high amount of humic substances (humic acids, fulvic acids an humin) which give it a range of color from yellow to dark brown to black. DNA and RNA extracted from soil using a standard kit often inherit this coloration, which interferes with accurate UV quantitation, and more importantly, acts as inhibitor for PCR analysis.
Our soil and water DNA and RNA extraction kits are designed specifically to handle environmental samples. DNA and RNA from tough-to-lyse bacteria, fungi, and algae that inhabit a range of samples including clay, sandy, peaty, chalky, and loamy soil samples, water and sewage sludge. Our proprietary color-reducing agents completely removes the coloration, making the isolated DNA and RNA usable for most downstream applications.
In conjunction with the Geno/Grinder and liquid handler robots, we have the capacity of extracting 1,000’s of samples per day.
The Omega Advantage:
- Proven quality: no coloration, no inhibitors
- Automated robotic platforms for all extractions
- Same day service available
- Large scale projects, please inquire
- Agilent Bioanalyzer QC (RNA)
- Agarose gel electrophoresis QC (DNA/RNA)
- Real-time qPCR (DNA/RNA)
- Sample concentration normalization from tube-to-tube or tube-to-plate (DNA/RNA)
- Consultation for downstream analyses and study design
For more information on our soil and water DNA and RNA extraction offerings, call us today to speak to one of our research experts.